Saturday, November 3, 2012

Essie Mini-Haul




over the edge - butler please - stroke of brilliance

If there's one brand I'm always on the fence about, it's Essie. They have without a doubt the most accessibility and variety, but on average have very poor formula. With a good base and top coat though, I figure that most of the time I can battle the poor formula for the gorgeous color. I got the inspiration for this post from Essie (of essiebutton) and her favorite nail varnishes post. I realized after watching her video of her favorites that a. I was in love with this bright blue and b. I had none in my rather large nail varnish collection. SO when I stepped into Target, this was the first thing I beelined for, after basking in the already holiday decorated card section. Butler Please is described as an "indulgent bright blue" and I completely agree. The one thing I stray away from with this nail polish is that the formula was very hard to work with which I found a bit surprising. The color seemed easy to work with from the bottle. It took a while to dry, needed two coats, and a third would have worked even better. It was necessary to have a drying fast top coat or my nails would have been ruined.

Over the Edge is a true dark gray with white shimmers running throughout it. The color is truly unique and reminds me of Urban Decay's Gunmetal eyeshadow. It is described as a "dramatic metallic midnight silver." This will be perfect for the holiday season, especially with a nice red dress or LBD. Stroke of Brilliance is a glittery blue top coat, perfect on it's own or over the top of another. I think it'd look fab over both Butler Please and Over the Edge. I have such a love/hate relationship with glitter nail polishes but I think my obsession might have been sparked again... I hate the taking off process, but love the long wear time and the look.

Essie has a reasonable price at about $8 a bottle, though I don't exactly think it's always worth it. I'd really like to try some more of their new collection!

What are your favorite drugstore polishes? Do you bother with high end nail care?

x

tumblr
twitter
instagram
bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment